#header-inner {text-align:center !important;} #header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important;}

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Dependent and Independent Sentence Starters

Dependent and Independent Sentence Starters


since therefore consequently


hence because due to


though unless once


while when whenever


where wherever before


after provided that


if as


Examples of Dependent and Independent clauses:


Dependent              Independent

Provided the weather stays nice,     we will go to the beach today.


Because the country is at level two,  we have to practice social   

                                                              distancing in New Zealand.


After the movie,                        I went to sleep straight away.


Worksheet: dependent and independent clauses

Task 1: Write down whether the sentences you see below are dependent or independent clauses (write in the brackets).


Task 2: Complete the complex sentences with a dependent or independent clause that’s currently missing (write in the gaps).


Task 3: Write a definition for “dependent” and “independent clause” on the bottom of this worksheet.


  1. I will tidy my room (independent), when I have finished dinner. 


  1. If it is sunny next weekend (dependent), I will go to the beach. 


______________________________________________.


  1. Since it is  bad weather, therefore we stayed home ( dependent ).    


  1. I don’t like chocolate ( independent), though my parents do. 


______________________________________________.


  1. My father works for the NZ police department (independent                   , therefore he wears a gun. 


___________________________________________________.


  1. Though I feel tired, I just HATE (!ndependent), waking up early in the morning. 


Definitions: dependent and independent clauses:

Dependent - something that needs something to help it make sense.

Independent - a sentence that makes sense on its own. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post.